You stood for so much in this world. You gave the ultimate sacrifice, for the good of people…with a vision of change. A lot did change for the better. While doing so, oppressors have become more angry, power hungry and DANGEROUS. Oppressors have taken to new heights to silence the common voice. It is crazy to see how advanced we have become, while regressing so much. We miss you. We need people like you in this world to stand together demanding change. It is only a matter of time until those people do indeed come together to create a force that can no longer be silenced and oppressed. Thank you for everything you stood for. Thank you for leaving us with the memories, hope and inspiration. Thank you for never stopping, regardless of the sacrifice! Sincerely, a fighter against oppression
“Every man must decide whether he will walk in the light of creative altruism or in the darkness of destructive selfishness.” – MLK
What is altruism? Altruism is the belief in or practice of disinterested and selfless concern for the well-being of others.
“The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people.” – MLK
Oppressors could not continue to oppress if ALL good people took a stand to stop. Are you afraid of the sacrifice/repercussion? The reward is much greater.
“Never, never be afraid to do what’s right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society’s punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way.” – MLK
“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe nor politic nor popular, but he must take it because his conscience tells him it is right.” – MLK
“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.” – MLK
“He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it.” – MLK
Who created these imaginary borders stating the “United States” is better than anyone else? Injustice ANYWHERE should be…IS absolutely unacceptable. Let me educate you on a few facts as to where the US ranks also. Congrats, we did land a number one in here:
- Global Peace Ranking Index (ranking of the safest countries in the world): 128th – The United States’ ranking has fallen every year since 2016. This drop can be attributed to a decrease in life satisfaction and an increasing wealth gap.
- Life Expectancy: 39th
- Healthcare Ranking by Population: #37
- Incarceration Rate: #1 – Despite having only 5% of the world’s population, the United States houses almost 25% of all prisoners in the world. Countries like China and India with much higher populations have both a lower incarceration rate and total prison population than the United States. The US houses over 2 million jail inmates. China comes in second around 1.5 million (AND they have a higher population with lower human rights standards).
- It is estimated that the United States spends $80 billion on private and public prisons.
- Lastly, these numbers do not include Military prisons or prisons like Guantanamo Bay!
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”
Within our “United States walls” we teach (and hold accountable by law) that retaliation will not be tolerated. Even if someone commits a horrible crime against us or our loved ones, it is illegal to fight, murder or wage any sort of oppressing war against.
If we (our US government) wants something from or disagrees with another country/people, we retaliate with war/murder. In doing so, we further oppress and kill millions of innocent people. Since they are born outside of our “United States walls” it is acceptable?! Why is it acceptable to put a higher value on one life than another because of where they were born?
“The principle of self defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi.”
Our history classes continuously endorse war. Our history books and political leaders continuously boast about the “power” of the United States. They reference and teach about how the United States “wins.” We create a false reality of what winning is. WE….are not winning. WE…are further contributing to the biggest problem we face as humanity….oppression.
“Freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor, it must be demanded by the oppressed.”