I recently asked a question on Quora. Quora is a platform that can be pretty useful in learning new things or uncovering new perspectives. It allows you to ask questions and select a prefered audience based on experience and backgrounds to answer.
My question: “If you were provided $1million today and had to spend it within 1 week, what would you do with it?”
I had 17 responses in which I will briefly share below. I was curious to see how many people would focus on themselves vs how many would focus on making the world better for others. Results:
- Charities/Causes (all of which are listed at the bottom of this post).
- Payoff debt for self and immediate family. Buy a big house, fancy cars and fancy appliances
- Investments, Gold
- Payoff mortgage, re-paint and carpet house, take family to a nice dinner
- Purchase commercial property. Go on adventures. Purchase expensive clothes, dine in luxurious restaurants and hotels of the world. Hire techies for start-up idea. Send check for $1mil back once earned as this individual believes in fairness.
- Buy house. Buy house for parents. By car and garage. Game systems and every game.
- Cars and a residence
- House, car, bed, computer and wardrobe.
- Something antique or vintage, possibly a limited edition racing car. Sell once value goes up.
- Real estate in a growth area
- Something that costs that much and could sell for once the week is over so they could spend whenever they’d like.
- Beach condo in Hawaii, private jet service. If any was left, give to kids.
- Invest it all
- Payoff all debts of immediate family. Purchase a decent computer
- Four room apartment
- Low risk investment
Of 17 people, ONE chose to invest in causes/charities. I was pretty shocked to see this. I am not judging or faulting anyone for their choosing. I am challenging everyone to think of others and how you can make a difference. Be a leader and teach others to be as well. The more we talk about and lead by example, the more of a difference we will make together! Do not be afraid to be the person to stand up and lead in 2017.
Below is more about the one individual’s causes/charities of choosing:
Person 1 chose to donate the bulk of the million dollars. Their donations would be as follows: Donate 20% to the Children’s Shelter of Cebu in Cebu, Phillipines, 40% to The World Movement Against the Exploitation of Women, 30% to Porridge and Rice and the last 10% to invest in CDs for the individual as well as, provide funds to the parents. I am sharing the organizations her below as I loved this person took the time to do so:
Children’s Shelter of Cebu – Compormised staff, mostly part-time workers and volunteers. Manage 70-80 children in three centers. 20% of these children are physically or mentally challenged and require special medical attention and education.
Porridge and Rice – Charity that provides food for students, supports teachers, maintains/improves facilities in community schools in the slums of Nairobi, Kenya.
Focused in Southeast Asia where human trafficking is a severe problem. humantrafficking.org
Together, let’s make a difference in 2017,